Monday, February 13, 2006

Wally Scare

My son helped me take the dogs for their noontime walk since he had off school today. At the end of our walk Wally’s leash uncoupled from his harness. I was in disbelief holding an empty leash. Wally took off like a shot. One of our neighbors was kind enough to drive the local neighborhoods. I managed to spot Wally near the lake but he took off again. Dh came home and we went out driving to look for Wally. Our son stayed home to man the phones in case anyone called. About a half hour into our drive our son called my dh’s cell phone. The Animal Hospital across the street had Wally. Some kids saw Wally wandering around and got him to come to them by offering him food. They than took Wally to the vet. I’m so thankful that the kids knew what to do.

Dh went to Home Depot and picked up some D rings and attached them permanently to both Bean’s and Wally’s leashes so that they cannot become uncoupled. Bean’s leash has disconnected from his harness while dh was walking him. Luckily Bean didn’t run off. I think that Bean remembers getting hit by a car when he ran off last year. The hound noses get my boys in trouble.

Wally has been stuck to me like glue since we picked him up. We also weighed him since the vet had a large scale. He weighs 46.5 pounds. He needs to gain at least 10 pounds. He has already gained weight since he has come home with us so I’m guessing he was about 40 pounds then. The vet tech was telling us that he definitely needs to gain weight. I told her that he has gained weight since coming to us.

5 Comments:

Blogger Joyce said...

ohmigosh! how scary! glad you got him home safe and sound :)

9:44 AM  
Blogger steve said...

If anyone is interested, the hardware I got from Home Depot is a 1/8" quick link. It's rated for 220 lbs. They're in the aisle near the chain link and screws.

I used two on Wally's lead to replace the clip swivel, which I sawed off with a hack saw. It no longer swivels, but it is not coming loose, especially since I tightened it with a wrench.

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Wally's family. I am so glad he is back with you, that was a scare. Whoever found him had called the vet here where Wally originally had his work done prior to going to Stacy. Glad he is home safe and sound. April with the animal rescue in southwest virginia

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shew! So glad that Wally found his way back to you guys. I received an email from the vet that took care of him while he was still in VA that someone had found him and called in his rabies tag. Thank goodness for your blog since I checked here immediately and got the good news that he was found. Very scary that Wally's weight had dropped even lower than I suspected (almost 20 lbs!). After dodging my many calls, I finally got a hold of the trainer and expressed how upset we all were at the condition in which he was returned. He gave lots of excuses of course, but none were acceptable. Glad Wally is on the road back to his healthy weight.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Cham said...

Thanks so much everyone. The Anmimal hospital told me that they called the Howard County License number into animal control and our name came up so they knew whom to call. I am so thankful that he was properly tagged with his rabies tags and his Howard County dog License. Wally gave me a huge scare, I would have been heart broken if we're permantly lost.

11:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home