Friday, January 13, 2006

Oscar's story




We adopted Oscar 1o years ago from the Humane society. He was 1 year old. The paper work said that we we're his 2nd owner, I talked to a former worker and found out that we we're actually the 3rd owners. He was very shy and timid. He almost didn't pass the temperament test so that he could be adopted. Luckily one worker at the shelter saw Oscar's potential and took the time to work with him and socialize him. He was very fearful of men when we 1st got him. I think that he must have been abused. He would roll over and pee when dh would approach him.

The lady that adopted Oscar before us only had him for 1 week. I want to go tell that lady off. She didn't even give him a chance to acclimate to a new environment. She said that he was very nervous and needy, of course he was. That's to be expected getting use to a new home. My opinion of her is very bad words that I can't post here.

Oscar was very nervous and suffered from bad separation anxiety. He did chew a lot too but after all, he was still a puppy. Giving him proper toys and making sure our things we're out of his reach helped solve that problem. Crate training him also helped. I didn't want to worry about his time alone in the house that he would get into something that would seriously hurt him. I wanted to be sure that I would come home to a nice happy dog.

I can't believe that he is 11 years old already. He is the sweetest dog. He seems to know when I need doggy hugs. I have gotten spoiled because I can leave both him and Bean out if I leave and the house is not destroyed. The boys do counter surf which is to be expected. Dh made a nice foccacia and thought that he put it out of doggy reach. The boys enjoyed it, they we're to full to eat their dinner.

Oscar is getting quite curmudgeonly in his old age. He doesn't have as much patience with high energy little dogs that he did when he was younger. He still loves kids. At one of the weekly race series there was a toddler trying to straighten out his tail. Oscar acted like he didn't even notice.

1 Comments:

Blogger Joyce said...

He's adorable! Good for you for taking such good care and loving him :)

8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home